The iconic Ghan train ride is hailed as one of the greatest rail journeys in the world. The 4 day/3 night Ghan Expedition is a great opportunity to discover the character and rugged beauty of the Australian outback. Departing from Darwin between April 4, 2018 and October 24, 2018, this great red Australian adventurer will transport you to Adelaide via Katherine and other enchanting parts of Australia in total comfort and style.
The Expedition journey includes an additional day so you can explore the best of the Australia outback, traveling from north to south via some of the country’s remote and soul-stirring destinations.
The Ghan Expedition can only be booked as a full journey, from Darwin to Adelaide, and it is not possible to book only part of itinerary.
Wed: Darwin – Katherine
Your journey aboard the legendary Ghan begins after being transferred from your hotel to Darwin Rail Station. Enjoy lunch in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant before you arrive in Katherine and take a leisurely cruise on the idyllic Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge, gazing in awe at the towering sandstone cliffs, and learning about the Aboriginal and geological history of the area. Back on board, enjoy dinner as the sun sets over the outback. If you’d prefer to ramp it up a notch, you’re welcome to upgrade your excursion with a helicopter flight or scenic flight over Kakadu and Nitmiluk National Parks, providing unparalleled views of the geographic wonders that gave rise to many of the aboriginal Dreamtime stories. (Only available for purchase on board)
Thu: Alice Springs
Wake up to a new view outside your window, taking in the incredible outback sunrise as you enjoy a sumptuous breakfast before arriving in Alice Springs. A full day in the gateway to the Red Centre gives you ample opportunity to visit the town landmarks, get up close and personal with Australia’s incredible flora and fauna or explore the Alice at your own leisure. In the evening, dine beneath a canopy of stars at an Outback Pioneer Dinner, with live Australiana music, followed by an informative astronomical talk as you cast your eyes skyward before reboarding the train. At this point you may choose to upgrade your excursion with the ultimate outback experience; an intimate scenic fixed wing flight over Uluru and Kata Tjuta including lunch and Uluru base tour. (Advance purchase available).
Fri: Coober Pedy
After breakfast this morning, we’ll pull into the middle-of-nowhere stop at Manguri where you’ll be whisked away by your friendly tour guide for today’s destination: the sun-scorched opal mining capital of the world, Coober Pedy, where more than half of the residents live underground. Venture into the tunnels and caves of this underground town, where you may catch opal fever as you mine for riches, visit the otherworldly underground Serbian Orthodox church and enjoy a gourmet lunch below the earth’s surface before setting off to the stunning outback moonscape that is the Breakaways. After an eye-opening action-packed day, you’ll make your way back for your final evening onboard The Ghan.
Sat: Arrive Adelaide
Looking out of your window this morning you’ll notice a dramatic change in landscape as the rich ochre tones of the outback make way for the beautiful green fields and pastoral lands of South Australia. After brunch, The Ghan rolls into Adelaide, where you may wish to extend your stay with trips to the Barossa Valley or Kangaroo Island, or stay close to the city, exploring the culinary food-bowl that is Adelaide, the gateway to some of Australia’s best wine country.
- For Gold Twin, a comfortable sleeper cabin featuring private en suite and upper and lower berths that convert to a three-seater lounge by day
- For Gold Single, a compact sleeper cabin featuring a bed that converts to a seat by day and shared shower/toilet facilities located at the end of the carriage
- Gold Superior cabins feature a ¾ size double bed plus an additional fold down upper berth, lounge area, TV and DVD player, mini-bar and en suite.
- Power outlets in cabin
- In-cabin music channels and journey audio commentary available
- All-inclusive dining in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant
- All-inclusive Australian wines, beers, base spirits and non-alcoholic beverages
- All-inclusive Off Train Excursions and Short Stops
- Luggage allowance is 132lb per guest
- Platinum Service features full-size en suite equipped with shower, vanity with cupboard space, toilet and complimentary Australian bathroom amenities
- Lockable door, power outlets and in-cabin safe
- Picture windows offering views from both sides of the train
- Choose to travel with Platinum Service Transfers at the start and end of your journey available for guests within 60km of the terminal
- Freshly prepared continental in-cabin breakfasts served upon request
- Refreshments served in-cabin